Wednesday, March 9, 2016

3 Things I Love About Being a Woman

Ended up a wonderful day with this photo, then I got a flower. :)
March 8. It's a national holiday here in Russia, celebrating women and all that they stand for, of course, that includes their contributions and achievements, but mainly on just simply being who they are. I come from a place that has high regard for women, but having a day set aside just to honor and recognize them would have been really wonderful. Being in Russia, though, I am privileged to be included in the celebration. (My dear husband makes sure of it and tells me a few days before the date to claim it for myself. I'll show you what I did today on my next blog.)

Because of this Women's Day, I got spoiled with chocolates, flowers, cards and special presents from my family and friends. I even got a virtual greeting from Mr. Putin, passed on to me by a friend. (I feel like I should put a smiley here.)
I truly enjoyed my day today and I could not help loving myself and thanking God for making me a woman. So here I go again making a list--- this time about what I love about being a woman--- for the sake of specificity, even though the whole thing is already glorious in all its fantastically messy mystery. And, yes, women do tend to be a mystery, not only to men but also to ourselves. But still, let me try.

1. The whole emotional package 


We got hormones. We are emotionally wealthy. Okay, there are times I wish I can be less emotional, but then it would make me less of me. Whatever you say, I am glad I can cry, even when it's just because of an intensely emotional scene on the screen, and let tears flow without shame of being called a sissy or a baby. For that matter, I cry even when I just talk about something that means a lot to me, and I admit, it makes my husband flustered when he's the one I am talking with. He gets all distressed, ready to jump into action and stop the tears. Most times, he actually doesn't need to do anything but just bear through all that tearing up, because oftentimes just as they come, they also go.

Those tears. Sometimes I believe they have a life of their own, like a great well of emotion that is just waiting for a dramatic situation, all ready to pour itself out. Sometimes they burst or trickle out when someone or something touches that emotional button and accidentally opens the floodgates an inch or two or fully open. No wonder we need chocolates!

I have a feeling that there are times we are happy being sad. What are those sad songs and movies for? And the times we are mad? Oh yes, some of the things we are mad about are called for. But some? For the mystery that we are, we are often labeled crazy. That crazy comes when our emotional well is disturbed. Oh, how rich we are in emotions!

Unfortunately, being so is not a guarantee that we live happy lives. Our emotions need a solid ground for us to stand on it, rule over it, and have the ride of our lives. Where are your emotions grounded on? Do they toss you around like a puppet? Or do you handle them just like God has intended you to do?

"He that is lord of his soul, is better than an overcomer of cities." Proverbs 16:32, WYC

Today, we are encouraged to anchor our rich supply of emotions on the One who made us and on His Words. The Bible is filled with instructions on how to deal with them. We can't just let our emotions rule over us. We can not only be rich emotionally but spiritually as well as we let God be lord of our lives. As we do so, our emotions will find a stable ground on His Word.

Yes, they are shaky, messy things-- these emotions--- but God's Word is sure and firm. I have personally found this to be true. I live on an emotionally charged atmosphere with a mother-in-law who does not quite accept me or approve of many of what I do--- from my parenting to something as petty as my singing--- and has no inkling making it clear; and she lives with us. I have found wealth from the Scriptures as I live on it, because I found that if I don't, even for one day, I am emotionally rich but hopelessly lost.

2. Beauty

In all things we do, we, women, strive for beauty. It's something natural in us. We see beauty, we look for beauty, we do beauty. We hang pretty curtains in our homes, invent and use make up, build, polish, add shimmer, write, scrub to shine, plant gardens, glide, sway, sing, sew, teach, laugh, talk, smile. I can go on and on all day on the many things that we do to add beauty to our tired, weary world. However we choose to do it, beauty shines out of us when we allow it to.

Even the form and essence of our being is beauty itself. Believe me, even on your bad hair days, you produce beauty (not just the one you like). Yes, you are beautiful. Forget about what other people say. God thinks differently.

"How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!" Psalm 139:17

He made us beautiful. Regrettably, all that real beauty gets buried in all the junk that we collect from what people say or insinuate to beauty magazines, and all those stuff we watch on the tube. I think we need to let that beauty out. 

Beauty comes from within. It shines out when we know we are loved, we are valued. And we are. God died for us, even, even in the ugliness of our sins.

"But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8, ESV

And you know what? God is not stopping until we have His original beauty in us. We got to let Him do His work. He is very good in restoring beauty in people.

"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

Shine on... 

(and don't let anyone snuff it off)!

3. Strength

Strength is often identified as a male trait. But in my years, I have found many strong women, both physically and spiritually. Strength is not at all exclusive to men. Not at all. Women, despite circumstances and societal expectations, have lived lives, achieved dreams, educated generations and have remained strong. 

The virtuous woman in the Bible exudes strength that we, women, want to emulate so much. And so should we. It is said of her,

"Strength and honor are her clothing; she shall rejoice in time to come." Proverbs 31:25

This kind of woman is more "precious than rubies". 

I know for a fact that women have many issues to deal with in life, and it is just so easy to let go, be weak as others tell us we are, stop dreaming, stop working for our dreams, for our families and, worse, just hide. But, no! 

"God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Yes, He does. So whatever place you are in in life right now, claim His promise that you can be strong and you can do all things in His strength. We can say with Paul,

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13


It is my prayer that all women everywhere will be able to enjoy their God-given lives to the fullest, free of prejudice, discrimination and violence. Let us not forget to pray for each other. And I hope we will not grow weary in doing what is good. Let us keep on encouraging and lift each other up.

I wish every woman on this planet, happy, fulfilling and beautiful lives as they bring joy, beauty and inspiration to each other, their families and the world. Cheers!





You may also like to read...




ME
Mirror
On Burned Soup



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Best Kid?

Finally, it's September 1st, the Day of Knowledge (as it is called here in Russia)! School starts officially today. But it falls on a ...