Monday, August 12, 2013

Do what you love... And why

I enjoy writing though I haven't  had any formal training, nor any professional experience. I haven't written a book. I haven't gotten any money from what I have written. I don't even know if what I write matters. But I write out of the sheer joy of writing. And I will keep on writing. This blog came about out of my own enjoyment of seeing my thoughts come alive in the written word. And I praise God that I got this far in blogging. This month is the first anniversary of my blog The Road Home--- which are snippets of life, of traveling with God, and of finding Home in Him.

"Life is hard." So goes the first three words of the book The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck.
Yes, life is hard. So are a host of other things, like doing what you love even against odds stacked up against you, and despite all the cost. There are many reasons why I should give up writing... And just twiddle my thumbs. But I'm writing on for three reasons. And anybody who is doing what they love--be it making music, or being a stay-at-home or a working mom, or a driver, artist, entrepreneur, or a public servant, or doing a ministry, or being a missionary--- have a reason to keep on doing what they love. Here's why.

1. Nobody does it better than you do. So, everybody writes? Draw? Sing? Many are parents? Many choose to stay at home to parent? Many go out to work and parent? Many can drive? Many go on to become business men? So, what makes you different? What makes you better... when some even write what you want to write in the most flawless way, and sing, speak much, much better than you. Tell you what? There's no comparison. You are you and she or he is another story.

Nothing is new under the sun. Whatever we do has already been done (and that's from Solomon...see, nothing new!). What we are doing is simply reinventing, by doing it in the way we know how, in the way we can only do... and that's what makes what we do special. Everything becomes uniquely our own when we sing it, write it, draw it, shoot it.

So what if what you do is not original? Who says so? You are the origin of whatever you do. It's original! Being you makes it different from others. Can others write it the way you do? No. Only you can. We may go through the same life, do and think the same things but the way we think and do life is uniquely our own. Nobody can be a better version of you. Nobody can love your kids the way you do. Nobody can make people laugh the way you do. Nobody can sing in Filipino the way Anna Rabtsun(a Russian, who sang an Original Pinoy Music 'Kung Maputi na Ang Buhok Ko') sings. 

By the way, I met her today at the Russian embassy while processing my papers. She speaks Tagalog really well. Knowing that challenges me to keep on with my Russian learning. And I wish I took a pic with her. Well...

What I'm trying to say is, you do being 'you' best.

2. Do it in the name of love. You give the world a favor even for just loving what you do. If it makes you come alive, if you are passionate about it, you owe it to yourself, the world and your Maker to keep doing what you love best. There are too many boring and mediocre things around. Don't add up on their number. You have a responsibility to live and bloom the way God has made you to be. The world is a better place simply because you are alive, you are in love.

3. Be an expression of God's creative power. You cannot read notes but you make music and sing? You are not an English native speaker but writes in English? You are not trained in carpentry but you build houses? God's creative power flows through you. Do what you have to do because whatever you do is worship. Yes, the only reason that can sustain us through in this dog-eats-cat world, is not money or fame but the aim of glorifying God in all that we do. That's enough reason to do what you love. And actually, that's the only reason why you should keep on. You are an instrument of His grace. He is praised with what you love to do despite being unqualified, unskilled, inferior, untalented because His glory shines through our cracks.  


If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, 
who gives to all liberally and without reproach, 
and it will be given to him. (James 1:5) 

Study to show yourself approved unto God, 
a workman that needs not to be ashamed...
(2 Timothy 2:15)

Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, 
than that a man should rejoice in his own works
for that is his portion.
(Ecclesiastes 3:22)


Just simply being me as God made me, and doing what I love to do for God's glory sums up what this life is all about. Be the best you. Do what you love. Give God the glory. And I hope that's reason enough to keep your passion alive.

Happy first anniversary, The Road Home!

p.s. There's another anniversary coming up next post. Wow, August is a busy month!




You may also want to read...

When Fire Makes Steel
Hands On (and More) Part 2
Better Dreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Best Kid?

Finally, it's September 1st, the Day of Knowledge (as it is called here in Russia)! School starts officially today. But it falls on a ...