Thursday, July 25, 2013

To Drink or Not to Drink

"Sorry, I don't drink." 

I'm not sure how many times I had to say that line in just one evening. It was the night my husband introduced me to his friends. And for the most part, socializing usually involves a little bit of drinking or eating while talking. It would be too awkward when the talking gets a little too slow and one is left with just twiddling thumbs or gulping air.

So I did have some tea while my dear husband was doing some catching up with old friends.

Okay, so why don't I drink? Here are some reasons:

1. My head's too messy already, don't want to mess it up more. Yeah, I've seen some loved ones whose lives have been greatly affected by alcohol. They were totally rendered helpless and incapacitated. The head or our minds is the seat of God, where the Holy Spirit gives understanding to discern what is right from wrong; and where He gives us His power to do the right. It is also where judgment is done, where we make our choices-- for good or for evil. And when that place is benumbed by a different kind of spirit, we are susceptible to its bad influence and we may not know when to stop. 

The wise man has said of it, "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise" (Proverbs 20:1). We've seen examples of its influence even in the Bible and warnings against it. There was Noah who got too drunk for his own good; Nabal, the foolish; king Ahasuerus, who made a hasty decision while drunk; and a mother, king Lemuel's, who was concerned about her son's governance over his kingdom. The latter wanted her son to have no part with it (Proverbs 31:4-7).

2. I influence others, whether I like it or not, whether I'm aware of it or not. Everyone knows that each one of us somehow play a part in other people's lives. We don't live in a vacuum. Our words or deeds are being watched by someone or somebody that may have an impact in his or her choices and life. I don't want people to think that it's okay to drink just because I do. I especially don't want my children to acquire a taste of something that I know is not right for them. So I abstain.

3. I can't stand the smell. How much more the taste? I don't understand the attraction of alcohol. It smells like urine; and when I was in college, I tried a sip to see what the hype was all about, and was fairly disappointed with its bitter taste. How could people ever like that thing? If they want something  bitter, they should eat ampalaya. Ampalaya would be good for their health.

4. Speaking of health, any benefit that alcolic drink may give to its recepient is far more outweighed by the disadvantages. The Bible speaks about red eyes and sorrow. "Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has babbling? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine" (Proverbs 23:29-30). My body is the temple of God and I sure cannot glorify Him in a state described above. 

Just thinking that wine or any fermented or alcoholic drink is a result of sin. They are not in their natural form the way they were created by God. They already had undergone the process of decay, which is, of course, a result of sin. In Revelation, being drunk is a metaphor of heedless sinning. And either way, drinking is being disobedient to the voice of God, who loves us and wants only what is best for us.

And what is best for us, is cool, refreshing water. I am sticking to it. As another wise man, Henry David Thoreau, had said: "Water is the only drink for a wise man", and I agree. No need of scientific research to conclude that. Daniel and his friends did topped the Babylonian School of the Wise Men with just pulse and water. In fact, they were ten times better than all the wise men (see Daniel 1). 

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water_quality/quality1/1-define-spring-water-why-safe.htm
source
Given that, I thank God for water. I thank Him, most of all, for the Living Water. Like that woman at the well, I daily lift my cup for Him to fill.

I drink. I'm satisfied.

It also overflows. "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water" (John 7:38). Drinking for fun, friendship or self-destruction or for whatever reason, has nothing compared to It.

Jesus is that Living Water. Why don't you try Him? You will find Him... good!




You may also want to read...

Uncomplicated
Mirror
Blessed to Give

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Best Kid?

Finally, it's September 1st, the Day of Knowledge (as it is called here in Russia)! School starts officially today. But it falls on a ...